Lydd Model Flying Club. Kents Best.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lydd Model Flying Club. Kents Best.

The Lydd Model Flyers are a BMFA Registered Model Aero Club on the Romney Marsh, UK.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

polyhedral wing

Go down 
+3
Rainman
Skyleader Six
supernova
7 posters
AuthorMessage
supernova

supernova

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-02-11

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 25 Jul 2011, 1:55 pm

This one for the build experts I think???? I am building from a plan a 1/6th scale Bird dog L-19, Bill expertly cut all of the formers and rib on his Infernal Machine for me. My problem is.....wing is polyhedral, wing is one piece (72" span), root angles are fine, clamped up tip sections for outer angle yesterday, glued them up.. This morning removed clamps and wedges etc.. measured wing tips in relation to each other and found that one side has 1/8" more dihedral than the other (Must have had a senior moment yesterday), now the question is 'is this difference very important, I have no problem with cutting out the glued formers and starting again, but only if really needed. Many thanks for sensible answers.

Thanks

Michael confused confused confused
Back to top Go down
Skyleader Six

Skyleader Six

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-01-22

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 25 Jul 2011, 5:34 pm

Hello Michael nice to see someone doing a build Bravo to be honest i would not worry to much about a small build problem like that, its a one off you don't have all the jig's model manufacturers have to get things spot on, a little trimming in flight and I'm sure it will fly a treat good luck keep building Bravo
Back to top Go down
Rainman

Rainman

Number of posts : 1086
Registration date : 2008-02-06

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 25 Jul 2011, 5:47 pm

At that wing span, I really don't think 1/8 will make a noticeable difference at all, crack on with the build and give us all a taster of things to come with some pics when you can!
Bravo
Back to top Go down

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 25 Jul 2011, 6:01 pm

Hi Michael
Nice to see you have started the build and as John as said don't worry about the 1/8 on the wing it wont make a lot of difference.
You will be able to check it against the full sheet drawing as i have two sets coming this week!! just in case some one want's to build it electric
it will be a nice model .
Bravo
Back to top Go down
supernova

supernova

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 25 Jul 2011, 7:11 pm

Thanks for the very time saving info, just as I thought myself, but had to get it confirmed by those with greater experience, as for pictures here are 3 showing progress so far, basic fusilage, to make sure wing seat will fit??polyhedral wing Fuz

then the wing as it is now with flaps in place, polyhedral wing Wing. and last the horizontal stab and elevators with fin and rudder.polyhedral wing Tailbits

its coming along nicely, really enjoyable, have to share the garagr with car and other items, so gets a bit difficult.

thanks again

Michael

Back to top Go down
Rainman

Rainman

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 25 Jul 2011, 7:59 pm

Well done, that all looks really good, but if you don't mind me saying, your lucky sharing a garage with a car......
I have to share a house with a wife!!
Back to top Go down

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2007-12-31

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 25 Jul 2011, 9:44 pm

Found this thred on it, ok may not be the same size.

http://radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=242347
Back to top Go down
http://lyddmfclub.com

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 25 Jul 2011, 9:46 pm

Thats gonna be nice Mick and wish i had the patience for a total build, takes me forever to put together an ARTF Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed as you all know lol!

At least you have some room in your garage left to work on your models, i have bits all over the place like dining room,conservatorry,shed & garage but always nice to be able to leave it all out in one place Bravo Bravo Bravo

Good luck and keep em comimg Picture Picture Picture
Back to top Go down

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 05 Sep 2011, 2:59 pm

Mike Not seen any posts for a while! hows the build going? still on tract?

Back to top Go down
supernova

supernova

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 05 Sep 2011, 6:17 pm

Well its getting there slowly,,
polyhedral wing Firewallmod

had to modify the firewall, hole much too big, cut a 1/4 ply piece and epoxied in with a couple braces behind.

polyhedral wing Wingandcontrols

Wing nearly done, all sheeted, aelerons dry fiited , flaps still to do, holes you can see are fore strut fittings,

polyhedral wing Rtwingunder

Servo covers all made, strings are inplace, put in before sheeting completed.

Fuselage sheeted, blind nuts fitted foe engine mount and tailwheel.

polyhedral wing Toprear

polyhedral wing Topfront

Under carriage 90% done, am in process of contructing removable hatch to give access to UC and servos which are fitted in lower half.
polyhedral wing Fuzanduc

Thats all for now, I do a little each day when I can, nearl reached the covering stage,??? then the fun really starts?????

Michael

Back to top Go down
supernova

supernova

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 14 Nov 2011, 9:09 pm

Hi all, at last, its nearly ready to fly?,,,final build has ended up a bit over 'planned' weight, and needs 1/2 pound of lead up front to get CoG correct, so hoping that the 52 FS has enough grunt to get it in the air, have not completed the cowl yet incase I need to fit a bigger power lump, and decals will be added later after one of our club's 'Trubshaws' has put it through it paces. The worst build bits was definately the glazing, front and rear screens a right royal pain. Looks OK from about 20 feet away.
Just controls to set up and run up the engine, then I will be down the patch for a maiden.

Michael

polyhedral wing PB132869
polyhedral wing PB132868
polyhedral wing PB132870
Back to top Go down

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 14 Nov 2011, 9:22 pm

Looking good Mick and well done for making the effort to post the pics...look forward to seeing her fly Bravo
Back to top Go down
Rainman

Rainman

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 14 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm

She's looking grand, well done you, I reckon you must be chuffed with the results of all your efforts. If the 52 struggles give Phil a bell, I think he's got a looser 300 twin that might just cope .. lol!
Back to top Go down
Worzey

Worzey

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2008-02-09

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyMon 14 Nov 2011, 11:10 pm

That 52 with an APC 12 x 6 will do the Bird Dog proud!!
Back to top Go down

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: polyhedral wing    polyhedral wing EmptyTue 15 Nov 2011, 1:12 pm

Well done Mike you have made a nice job are you going to put any decals on!!
Bravo
Back to top Go down

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyTue 15 Nov 2011, 3:03 pm

Bill part of his post lol!

supernova wrote:
decals will be added later after one of our club's 'Trubshaws' has put it through it paces
Back to top Go down
supernova

supernova

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptyTue 15 Nov 2011, 3:59 pm

Thanks for all of your comments guys, I have taken Ian's advice and ordered a couple of 12" props. Decals from Pyramid cost about £30, so just thought I would wait till it gets in the air and down again safely. I must admit the red and white scheme with black decals will look brilliant. Thanks again.

Michael
Back to top Go down
supernova

supernova

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: At Last   polyhedral wing EmptySat 21 Sep 2013, 8:53 pm

Hello to all,   2013 not a good year for me, at last got my ails under control, now my wife is recovering from an eye operation. So I hope to be down the field very soon, must be very rusty on the sticks at present. So have completed my plan built bird dog at last and the ARTF Decathlon is also ready for a maiden, a few pics here......
polyhedral wing DSCF0523

polyhedral wing DSCF0522

polyhedral wing DSCF0525

polyhedral wing DSCF0530

polyhedral wing DSCF0527
Back to top Go down
grounded

grounded

Number of posts : 827
Registration date : 2008-02-15

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptySun 22 Sep 2013, 6:37 pm

Dynamic duo there mate Bravo That bird dog has turned out terrific Bravo  Good luck with the maidens Bravo 
Back to top Go down
Rainman

Rainman

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptySun 22 Sep 2013, 10:14 pm

I've never had any luck wiv the maidens??
lol!

if they fly as good as they look you should really enjoy those Two!
Bravo 
Back to top Go down
Noddy

Number of posts : 2512
Registration date : 2013-04-04

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing EmptySun 22 Sep 2013, 11:24 pm

Two nice models there Mick and hope to see them at the patch real soon Bravo Bravo Bravo 
wishing Doris a speedy recovery too mate Rainbow 

Take care Bravo 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

polyhedral wing Empty
PostSubject: Re: polyhedral wing   polyhedral wing Empty

Back to top Go down

polyhedral wing
Page 1 of 1