Lydd Model Flying Club. Kents Best.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lydd Model Flying Club. Kents Best.

The Lydd Model Flyers are a BMFA Registered Model Aero Club on the Romney Marsh, UK.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build

Go down 
+4
Coco
grounded
Rainman
Skyleader Six
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 9:40 pm

a few pics of the mustang taken that day
Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 DSCF0008

Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 DSCF0007

Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 DSCF0006
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyThu 17 Mar 2011, 10:09 pm

yossarian wrote:
Hi John - yes I meant Aliphatic, which I believe is supposed to be somewhat better than ordinary PVA, apart from it's better sanding qualities, but fully noted thanks - maybe only for smaller planes. Hope you did'nt mind me mentioning it as it may help others who read this.
Yes I have experiemanted with Gorilla and like you I am somehat put off it by the expanding mess that has to be cleaned off - just before it sets like concrete. But it sure does stick. To me it seems easier to use Epoxy.
Useful tip on the Loctite 9462 - and as I'm a glue-anorak I will now try it.
lol!

I was just gonna use 30 minute epoxy on the robart hinges on the Mustang but in the manual it says Hinge glue? surely the epoxy will hold up okay or am i asking for troublel Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Back to top Go down
Rainman

Rainman

Number of posts : 1086
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 11:29 am

I have used 30 min epoxy in the past on this type of hinge with no problems.... maybe I was just lucky, where are the experts when you need em? scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 8:04 pm

Rainman wrote:
I have used 30 min epoxy in the past on this type of hinge with no problems.... maybe I was just lucky, where are the experts when you need em? scratch

I will STICK with the epoxy then Ray as don't fancy getting smothered in Gorilla shit... lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Rainman

Rainman

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 8:27 pm

I can live with the gorilla shit,, it's the baboon crap that gets to me! lol!
Back to top Go down

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2007-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 8:49 pm

Rainman wrote:
I can live with the gorilla shit,, it's the baboon crap that gets to me! lol!

No for me its the Bull shit......
Back to top Go down
http://lyddmfclub.com
Rainman

Rainman

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 9:26 pm

Never mind the bullshit young man, you get yourself off to bed or you'll be late delivering the milk in the morning!!! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 9:51 pm

Rainman wrote:
Never mind the bullshit young man, you get yourself off to bed or you'll be late delivering the milk in the morning!!! lol!

When are you out??
Back to top Go down
Skyleader Six

Skyleader Six

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptySat 16 Apr 2011, 5:12 pm

Took the p51 mustang out today for a test flight , Angel was a bit nerve racking after the incident with the maiden, the vibration has been sorted, so after a pre flight check was good to go Very Happy take off was nice, ailerons were spot on ,but it was soon apparent the CoG was rearward affraid as quite a bit of down elevator was needed to fly level, after a few circuits i tried out the flaps,thay were great no change in flight Bravo so i made a reasonable landing although it got very twitchy near the deck as the nose wanted to lift ,but i was down safe
the second flight was easier with a roll and loop just to see how it would handel ,i was pleased and looked great in the air Bravo its shame the CoG is wrong on the plans but i was lucky, i was aware of this, so not total unexpected Shocked I'm sure once i have the nose weight on i think its going to be a great flying model Bravo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptySat 16 Apr 2011, 6:30 pm

Shame i missed it John as would have loved to have seen her and got some pics mate Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
I enjoyed last Sunday when we had four Warbirds up there together and sounded great too Bravo Bravo Bravo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptySat 16 Apr 2011, 7:28 pm

More Warbirds comin' up tomorrow! Nice one, John. Would like to have seen it.
The Major
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptySat 16 Apr 2011, 8:52 pm

well done John, good to hear all went well after all the work put in, once c of g sorted you will be Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: CG for the mustang .    Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyThu 21 Apr 2011, 6:57 pm

Hello sky leader. Just read the drama on your maiden flight . Did you have your trousers tucked in ? or bike clips ? Plane looks terrific. You may remember we had a chat sometime ago re the throws etc on the pica mustang as I took on a part built job with no plan and only part of the instruction manual . I am getting very near completeing my Mustang now and all the info I wrote down re throws , cg etc has been lost ? Mad . Cant find it anywhere. I seem to remember c of g should be just on the main spar but am not sure . Could you possibly PM them to me or PM me your phone no and I'll give you a call . The build blog for my mustang is on www.medwaymfc.org.uk click the forum and then whats on the building board.

regards

Phil Fearn
Back to top Go down
Skyleader Six

Skyleader Six

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyFri 20 May 2011, 9:59 pm

The C G has been sorted, i managed to get about a lb of lead up in the engine bay cheers although not to happy with the way its fitted, affraid as theirs is very little room for a good fix ,so i decided to give it a go today Very Happy its was quite windy with some strong gust Smile take off was a treat nice climb out only two clicks of elevator was needed Bravo she flew great and looked beautiful in the blue sky cheers and responded well to all inputs i was well pleased at last Very Happy after a good flight i landed no flaps were required, unfortunately the lead ballast had shifted about in the engine cowl affraid so will need removing ,a more permanent and proper cure is to remover the ail engine stand offs ,and replace them with some solid brass ones then its finally finished Bravo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptySat 21 May 2011, 9:36 am

Hello John . What was the actual CG position now ist sorted ?

regards

Phil
Back to top Go down
Skyleader Six

Skyleader Six

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptySat 21 May 2011, 10:34 pm

Hi Phil

i will come back to you with the exact CG position when the engine is back in, will be out flying it again soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptySun 22 May 2011, 10:10 am

phil f wrote:
Hello John . What was the actual CG position now ist sorted ?

regards

Phil

Put it this way phil f if your one turns out as good as our Johns, Believe me you will not be disappointed Bravo It flies and looks just like the real one in the air Fantastic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 May 2011, 2:53 pm

Picture of my Pica mustang . Not detailed op dirtied up yet but still looks good.

I seem to be having trouble uploading the pic ?

Any suggestions . Porblem sorted , I think Very Happy

Phil F[img]Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 Mustang_fitting_006[/img]

The model will be of "Passion Wagon" from the 357th FG
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 May 2011, 3:20 pm

Very nice indeed Phil, you must come down on our 2 day scale day and have a fly around yours with Johns Mustang.

11th & 12th June I probably would suggest the Sunday as that is when Tony Nijhuis will be coming. if you want more information give John a call he would be happy to tell you more... Bravo

Last edited by IronSide on Thu 26 May 2011, 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 May 2011, 7:21 pm

I think we need to arrange a mass Mustang sortie during the Scale weekend.

The Major Glee
Back to top Go down
Skyleader Six

Skyleader Six

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 May 2011, 11:11 pm

Flew the Mustang yesterday Very Happy with the extra weight up front ,was great seems the CG is about right now cheers well pleased, until the landing, came in nice quite fast ,cant believe i misjudged the flare out affraid and landed hard on the wheels breaking both stub axles ,totally my fault not landed like that for years lol! but my old mate grumpy came to the rescue, and made two new ones today on his lath so all back ready for another flight Bravo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 May 2011, 12:07 am

He is a life saver our Grumpy Bravo Bravo Bravo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptySat 16 Jul 2011, 11:27 am

Hello John . Have you flown the Mustang any more ? and did you measure the CG ? I am getting near to compleating my mustang and am getting a heavy duty balance made (similar to the great planes job) to set the CG up .After reading your post I got some brass stand offs made up for my mates Hurricane after the CG disaster and its improved the problem but its still a bit tail heavy. The Mustang though seem as though it may be too nose heavy . If you could let me know what the final maesurment for the CG is I would be very grateful.

Regards
Back to top Go down
Skyleader Six

Skyleader Six

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptySat 16 Jul 2011, 12:56 pm

Hello Phil had a few more flights on her Very Happy cracking in the air looks a treat Very Happy but need some work on the landings still Sad its a real challenge so unpredictable,but getting there ,I'm sure the cg is right, just getting to grips with the amount of flaps and speed on landing I'm sure if i had a longer approach she would land perfect, we have an electric fence to clear then drop in ,this unsettles the landing .
Next time out i will measure the cg and let you know. Bravo
Back to top Go down
grounded

grounded

Number of posts : 827
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 EmptySat 16 Jul 2011, 7:32 pm

phil f wrote:
Picture of my Pica mustang . Not detailed op dirtied up yet but still looks good.

I seem to be having trouble uploading the pic ?

Any suggestions . Porblem sorted , I think Very Happy

Phil F[img]Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 Mustang_fitting_006[/img]

The model will be of "Passion Wagon" from the 357th FG

Nice to see a muzzie in a different colour!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build   Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Skyleaders 1/5 Scale Mustang Build
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next