Lydd Model Flying Club. Kents Best.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lydd Model Flying Club. Kents Best.

The Lydd Model Flyers are a BMFA Registered Model Aero Club on the Romney Marsh, UK.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

YT Hawker Typhoon

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2007-12-31

YT Hawker Typhoon Empty
PostSubject: YT Hawker Typhoon   YT Hawker Typhoon EmptyTue 13 Dec 2011, 4:33 pm

I have been doing the repair on the ill fated Hawker Typhoon that Robin had, Unfortunately it hit the ground on takeoff on the maiden flight early this year.
The plane was badly damaged with the wing in two bits and a bloody big chunk out of the centre section.
Robin had started the repair but I have started to finish it off.
I had to put a new Rib inside the middle section to give it the structural strength that it needs. Also it needed a new flap and the area around it. This has been now done and a first coat of dark gray paint,
Also the wing had a big chunk out of the top of the wing that you could put a cup through! This has now had a section of balsa in from inside and clued then fibre glass over the top, “it looks like a bad graze at the moment” when dried it will sand flat and hopefully smooth.
The underside had no servo hatch and housing so this has been made and again ready for paint.
Before I can paint all the balsa needs at least three coats of "Eze Coat" polyurethane and sand between each coat, this gives a strong and most of all a area that is fuel resistant and takes paint well.

Bottom of wing with new servo hatch and area of flap
YT Hawker Typhoon DSCF9006-1
Top section of wing
YT Hawker Typhoon DSCF9014-1
New flap
YT Hawker Typhoon DSCF9010-1
Flap area with first coat of dark gray.
YT Hawker Typhoon DSCF9015-1
Hole in the top of the wing, It does look tender ouch
YT Hawker Typhoon DSCF9012-1

Still more to do like the wing tip has a big split in it and needs strengthening. Then to work on the fuselage and repair the cowl
Back to top Go down
http://lyddmfclub.com
Rainman

Rainman

Number of posts : 1086
Registration date : 2008-02-06

YT Hawker Typhoon Empty
PostSubject: Re: YT Hawker Typhoon   YT Hawker Typhoon EmptyTue 13 Dec 2011, 4:40 pm

Good job Daron, that'll keep you out of trouble for a fair old bit lol!
Back to top Go down

YT Hawker Typhoon Empty
PostSubject: Re: YT Hawker Typhoon   YT Hawker Typhoon EmptyTue 13 Dec 2011, 7:06 pm

Just done some more, well once my food had settled.
Got the patch on the wing all sanded and ready for paint. I also have the wing tip gluing up with P40 fibre glass so when that has gone off will get that sanded back and again prepped for paint.

I am planning on changing the marking so that I can rub down the paint especially as you will never match the paint used. So something like this. The canopy is all broken but luckily I have one from my old BH Mustang that will fit, thus turning it into the Tempest

YT Hawker Typhoon RAF030L-p
Back to top Go down

YT Hawker Typhoon Empty
PostSubject: Re: YT Hawker Typhoon   YT Hawker Typhoon EmptyTue 13 Dec 2011, 11:26 pm

Crack on Daron as you are doing well and would be great to see her flying again Bravo Bravo Bravo
Back to top Go down

YT Hawker Typhoon Empty
PostSubject: Re: YT Hawker Typhoon   YT Hawker Typhoon EmptyWed 14 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm

Have repaired the cracks and gouges out of the fuselage with fibreglass. That now has been sanded back and all rubbed down "Keyed" ready for the paint.
That now will need to wait until after Christmas. I have tracked down new decals from Pyramid models.
Back to top Go down
Worzey

Worzey

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2008-02-09

YT Hawker Typhoon Empty
PostSubject: Re: YT Hawker Typhoon   YT Hawker Typhoon EmptyWed 14 Dec 2011, 9:54 pm

Daron

Are you repairing the planes for Robin or is the plane now yours?

Done a good job there. Most people, including myself, would have taken the easy (but expensive) route.......In the bin and buy another!

Well done Chap!!
Back to top Go down

YT Hawker Typhoon Empty
PostSubject: Re: YT Hawker Typhoon   YT Hawker Typhoon EmptyWed 14 Dec 2011, 9:58 pm

Thank for that Ian, The plane is mine robin did not want it but had started the repair but I enjoy the work and challenge.

It will be nice to see it fly properly.
Back to top Go down
Rainman

Rainman

Number of posts : 1086
Registration date : 2008-02-06

YT Hawker Typhoon Empty
PostSubject: Re: YT Hawker Typhoon   YT Hawker Typhoon EmptyThu 15 Dec 2011, 8:16 am

IronSide wrote:

See that Robin, Daron says you fly like shite!! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

YT Hawker Typhoon Empty
PostSubject: Re: YT Hawker Typhoon   YT Hawker Typhoon EmptyThu 15 Dec 2011, 9:56 am

Rainman wrote:
IronSide wrote:

See that Robin, Daron says you fly like shite!! lol! lol! lol! lol!

To be honest he was not flying it......The plane was being fk ros nf dk odk ex ckaifln

Bloody keyboard is playing up again..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

YT Hawker Typhoon Empty
PostSubject: Re: YT Hawker Typhoon   YT Hawker Typhoon Empty

Back to top Go down

YT Hawker Typhoon
Page 1 of 1