Lydd Model Flying Club. Kents Best.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lydd Model Flying Club. Kents Best.

The Lydd Model Flyers are a BMFA Registered Model Aero Club on the Romney Marsh, UK.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

electric wizardry

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
grounded

grounded

Number of posts : 827
Registration date : 2008-02-15

electric wizardry Empty
PostSubject: electric wizardry   electric wizardry EmptyWed 28 May 2014, 11:06 am

After seeing how many twins go in when an engine stops I,be decided to finish the mossie as electric. Looking on the net, it would appear that a 400W motor is equivalent to a.50 I c but when you look at the thrust with a 13" prop it gives 3.48lbs that would mean only just under 7 lbs Static thrust for two which wouldn't get it rolling. The mossie will weigh at min 11lbs. Any one give me a clue what motors to get?
Back to top Go down
rotorman

rotorman

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2010-09-10

electric wizardry Empty
PostSubject: Re: electric wizardry   electric wizardry EmptyWed 28 May 2014, 11:45 pm

Hi Dave, As a rule of thumb 100w/lb input power should give a power to weight ratio of 1:1 which is good for sports and mild aerobatic flying. Your ratio of 7:11 for the Mossie is quite acceptable considering most full size aircraft are less than 0.5:1. To get that thrust from the input power you need to be efficient by choosing the best motor,prop,esc and battery combination. Try using a calculator like this one. http://adamone.rchomepage.com/calc_motor.htm
Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
grounded

grounded

Number of posts : 827
Registration date : 2008-02-15

electric wizardry Empty
PostSubject: Re: electric wizardry   electric wizardry EmptyThu 29 May 2014, 9:35 am

Thanks, that's brill Bravo  once I've got all the bits together, I can modify the wing build to accommodate batteries etc. Gonna put the ESC,s in the scale rads for cooling with the batteries in the bomb bay. Might even get cameras to fit as I,m building the PR version.
That's my summer build sorted lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

electric wizardry Empty
PostSubject: Re: electric wizardry   electric wizardry Empty

Back to top Go down

electric wizardry
Page 1 of 1