Lydd Model Flying Club. Kents Best.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lydd Model Flying Club. Kents Best.

The Lydd Model Flyers are a BMFA Registered Model Aero Club on the Romney Marsh, UK.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire

Go down 
+2
Noddy
Rainman
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Empty
PostSubject: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptyFri 31 Jan 2014, 9:29 pm

Just started putting the words onto the Spitfire. The company I used for this is www.flightlinegraphics.com run by Nigel Wagstaff.
You give him the make and model of your warbird, along with the scale, and if he has the decals in his library, the coast is around
30-40 quid.

I'm using the dry transfer system we used to play with as kids. For this to work well, the surface has to be gloss not matt.
The decal below took 15 minutes to rub on since matt surfaces, I'm told, resemble mountain ranges in miniature, and the decal is trying to
glue itself to the peaks. So I'm going to Klasskote the model in gloss first, then the transfers will slip on no trouble. After that, I can matt up
the finish however I want.

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_110

Thanks to the Spitfire manual Mike got me from the Hawkinge museum, I have every rivet and detail of the Spitfire in colour photos.
I've taken a bit of licence with the type of rivets used, doing some with a stencil and pencil (HB), and the raised rivets with my daughter's paper
glue and a pin with a bobble head. When you airbrush some contouring on the raised rivets, as I'll do in the coming weeks, the effect will be to
set them back into the fuselage so they blend in more.

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_210

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_310
Back to top Go down
Rainman

Rainman

Number of posts : 1086
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptyFri 31 Jan 2014, 10:09 pm

Great job Phil! Sure wish I had that amount of patience not to mention the skill involved!! she's gonna look the dogs when coming in on finals on a summers evening.... 
 Bravo Bravo Bravo 
Back to top Go down
Noddy

Number of posts : 2512
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptyFri 31 Jan 2014, 11:06 pm

Superb detail and looks great Phil, makes my little Kitty look like something free with a Ronald Mcdonald Happy Meal  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes 

Keep them pics flowing mate  Picture Picture Picture
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptyTue 04 Feb 2014, 6:57 pm

The fuselage is coming together now with the detailing. The right wing's been done too:

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_g10

Here's the left wing not yet done:

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_610

Here's the completed right wing with gunpowder residues before Klasskoting:

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_611

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Wing_d10

Some fuselage detailing:

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_311

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_f10

And tail end:

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_410

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_510

Back to work...  flower   flower
Back to top Go down
Noddy

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptyTue 04 Feb 2014, 9:57 pm

That is Pucker Phil, I would certainly not have the skill or patience to master that mate but well done and great Pics  Bravo Bravo Bravo 
Back to top Go down
stormin norman

stormin norman

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2010-08-19

PostSubject: spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptyWed 05 Feb 2014, 8:30 am

Looks great Phil roll on summer Laughing
Back to top Go down
grounded

grounded

Number of posts : 827
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptySat 08 Feb 2014, 4:48 pm

If I'm allowed to say Bo*****s on this forum then I will say that's the dog,s Bo*****s Phil, terrific job Bravo 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptySat 08 Feb 2014, 8:02 pm

As the storms rage, it's all busy busy in the workshop.
Just had seven new fluoros put in so the place lights up like Crystal Palace now Smile

I'm getting towards the end of detailing the Spitfire. maybe another two days to go before
I can mask up and do the first gloss Klasskote. Once that's on, the rest of the nomenclature (words)
can be put on the model. After that, one more coat of gloss and then the final one of matt.

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spitfi10

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spitfi11

Just installed the pilot's mirror too:

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spitfi12
Back to top Go down
Noddy

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptySun 09 Feb 2014, 12:47 am

grounded wrote:
If I'm allowed to say Bo*****s on this forum then I will say that's the dog,s Bo*****s Phil, terrific job Bravo 
Say what you like on this forum Dave as nobody replies son  lol! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptyMon 10 Feb 2014, 6:31 pm

First coats of gloss Klasskote have gone on, followed by the dry decals (which rubbed on fine), then several coats of satin thereafter
to lock in the nomenclature. Looks like there will be a nice dull metallic finish just with the satin.

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_111

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_211

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_312

This stuff REALLY stinks. makes really good hair gel tho'.

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_s10
Back to top Go down
stormin norman

stormin norman

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptyMon 10 Feb 2014, 6:55 pm

Grand Job Phill  Bravo
Back to top Go down
Noddy

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptyMon 10 Feb 2014, 11:06 pm

The Workshop is certainly much brighter now Phil since the new fluorescents have replaced those photography lights and your doing a very nice job on the Spit mate, love the final shot of that perfect pilot or is that you  Question 
 lol! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptyTue 11 Feb 2014, 8:34 am

Gbee wrote:
The Workshop is certainly much brighter now Phil since the new fluorescents have replaced those photography lights and your doing a  very nice job on the Spit mate, love the final shot of that perfect pilot or is that you  Question 
 lol! lol! lol! 

The police helicopter will think I've got a weed factory here Smile  Angel 
Back to top Go down
Noddy

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptyTue 11 Feb 2014, 9:12 am

Oh yes be careful as those sniffer dogs will soon find that stash hidden away in that ESM Hurricane  lol! lol! lol!

Last edited by Gbee on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2007-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptyTue 11 Feb 2014, 10:25 am

Ready for the bank job....

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Spit_s10[/url
Back to top Go down
http://lyddmfclub.com

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptySat 15 Feb 2014, 3:45 pm

Here is the finished small Spitfire with nice, dull metallic feel and burnished canopy so he can see the Hun.
Ready to go!

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Sm_spi12

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Sm_spi13

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Sm_spi14
Back to top Go down
stormin norman

stormin norman

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptySat 15 Feb 2014, 6:40 pm

Looks great Phill look forward to see them fly ,not worth chancing it for a few more weeks yet  Rainbow
Back to top Go down
Noddy

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptySat 15 Feb 2014, 11:11 pm

stormin norman wrote:
Looks great Phill look forward to see them fly ,not worth chancing it for a few more weeks yet  Rainbow
About August Norm  Rainbow 
Back to top Go down
Chipmonk

Chipmonk

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: flying   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptySun 16 Feb 2014, 7:32 am

which year g bee
Back to top Go down
Noddy

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire EmptySun 16 Feb 2014, 9:00 am

Should be dry by Aug 2014 Mike Angel 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire   Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire Empty

Back to top Go down

Nomenclature and rivets for Spitfire
Page 1 of 1