Lydd Model Flying Club. Kents Best.

The Lydd Model Flyers are a BMFA Registered Model Aero Club on the Romney Marsh, UK.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Battery care

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Worzey

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2008-02-09

PostSubject: Battery care   Tue 04 Jun 2013, 11:24 pm

While on my way to the field last Friday, I realised my Tx battery was low, so I removed it to fast charge it while driving to the club.
By the time I got to the field, the fast charge cycle was complete, so I disconnected the battery from the charger. As I plugged it into the transmitter, I noticed a very small amount of green/blue corrosion around the negative pin on the plug. I then removed the battery again and gently removed a small piece of insulation away from the negative wire.....There it was....."Black Wire"!! I got on the phone there and then and ordered a new battery, which has now been installed.
While my Tx was still working, it was only a matter of time, maybe hours or maybe weeks, before the wire completely broke down and completely stopped working. The results of which could be quite serious. I guess I was lucky to find this problem when I did, but it does serve as a reminder that we should check ALL our batteries at the beginning of each season, even if it saves only one model in fifty, it's worth it!!

Today I spoke to someone about the cause of "Black Wire" and was told that constant overnight charging is the main cause, as up to 60% of the charge is "over charging".
If we put our batteries on charge on a Friday night, ready for the weekend, but then the whole weekend is a washout, the battery has no power taken from it. The following weekend, the battery might have lost up to 20% of it's charge (if it's an old battery)while sat in the cupboard, but we still plug it in overnight just to "Top it up". If it's a 1000mAh battery and we plug it in to our 50mA charger for 10 hours, we are trying to put 500mA into a battery that only needs 200mA to "Top it up". This overcharging is what causes the negative wire to corrode and eventually break down.
I was told the best way to charge a Tx or Rx battery, if you are unsure of how charged/flat it is, is to use a charger where you can set a constant charge current which also cuts off (Peak Detect) when the battery is full. Charge at approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of the battery's capacity......Charge a 1000mAh battery at 350 to 500mA.....A 2000mAh battery at 700 to 1000mA..... This can easily be done an hour or two before you go flying or the evening before.

So there you go. Do yourselves a favour and check your negative wires for "Black Wire". Use a sharp blade to carefully cut the insulation just enough to see the copper wire, then put a turn or two of insulation tape over the cut. If the wire is bright and shiney, then all is well. If it's dull and black, replace it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skyleader Six

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Battery care   Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:38 am

Very good post Ian lol! i have been monitoring my Tx i have noticed a drop in capacity of late ,i only charge it for short periods as i found a overnight charge gets very hot and i don't like that,thinking about it my DSX9 was probably the first one in the club so the battery is quite old and should be replace ,will get a new one Bravo Grumpy bought his set after mine, Robin has it now the battery in that failed recently and needed replacing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gbee

Number of posts : 2496
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Battery care   Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:06 am

Good to bring it to our attention Ian as we all assume all safe to go when we switch on our TX/RX and all lights illuminate ok Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
The insulation is there to divide and protect but it also covers up Black wire deteriation hidden beneath as you have recently discovered Bravo
I use a Pro Peak Delta charger myself which cuts the charge when sufficiently topped up illuminating from Red to Green on panel thus no more pumping charge into our poor little batteries Crying or Very sad

Well done and great post 10/10

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skyleader Six

PostSubject: Re: Battery care   Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:37 am

Just ordered a genuine Jr replacement battery for my Tx from in woods 7 bloody hell after 4 years plus need my head read lol! flying my models with a old battery,needs a post like Ian's to get the grey matter working lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gbee

PostSubject: Re: Battery care   Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:53 am

lol! lol! lol! John we are all guilty of that mate but good to see members thinking of safety and alerting us of the possible risks of losing a model or worse Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Ian is our new appointed Safety Precautions/Disaster Prevention Officer Bravo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Worzey

PostSubject: Re: Battery care   Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:16 am

I must admit to being bad for checking my batteries. Just glad I foynd this problem when I did.
I bought an Overlander/Eneloop 2000mAh battery from M&R. Not as cheap as the original, but the Eneloop packs appear to hold their charge very well when not being used.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gbee

PostSubject: Re: Battery care   Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:50 am

You Have Been Warned chaps affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skyleader Six

PostSubject: Re: Battery care   Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:31 am

Skyleader Six wrote:

Just ordered a genuine Jr replacement battery for my Tx from in woods 7 bloody hell after 4 years plus need my head read lol! flying my models with a old battery,needs a post like Ian's to get the grey matter working lol!

Just thought i update the price lol! lol! lol! Should have read 37= PP 42.00
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gbee

PostSubject: Re: Battery care   Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:37 am

I thought that was rather cheap John lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Worzey

PostSubject: Re: Battery care   Thu 06 Jun 2013, 1:22 pm

Blimey..... They're more expensive than I thought!
Eneloop 2000mAh was 32 delivered
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rainman

Number of posts : 1085
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Battery care   Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:13 pm

I cant afford that much for a battery, besides, I use Hitec so it'll probably fail long before I need worry about black wires! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gbee

PostSubject: Re: Battery care   Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:38 pm

I use Wilko Batteries and usually get about 1 flight lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
grounded

Number of posts : 808
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Battery care   Wed 12 Jun 2013, 8:56 pm

Thought I'd just add that I am renewing all my batteries, I hadn't realised how bad they were until I got new ones. I charged my new TX two weeks ago and it's still showing 10.9 volts after using it to set models up etc . The old battery would have died a week ago!!!

I had black wire on 2 RX batteries too...Why only the negative lead???

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery care   

Back to top Go down

Battery care
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1